Replacement windows provide homes with many benefits such as energy efficiency, enhanced comfort, and increased curb appeal. When selecting new windows, there are many important factors that need to be considered, such as the window type, the frame material, and energy efficiency benefits. However, having some knowledge of window terminology will make the process a lot easier. Knowing the right names for parts of your window can help you avoid confusion. Check out our window parts glossary below for important window parts and components that will help prepare you to discuss your window project with anyone easily:

Major Exterior Window Parts

Frame – the framework that surrounds and supports the entire window system. It consists of the head, jamb, and sill.

Head – the head is the main horizontal part forming the very top of the window frame.

Jambs – the main vertical parts forming the sides of a window frame.

Sill – the main horizontal part forming the bottom of the frame.

Jamb Liner – a strip which goes on the sides of a window frame that provides a snug fit for the window sash.

Major Interior Window Parts

Sash – The operating / movable panel of the window unit that is separate from the frame and holds the glass. The sash consists of the following parts:

  • Stiles: Vertical sash members
  • Rails: Horizontal sash members
  • Check Rails: Horizontal sash members that meet, as in double-hung units. These could also be vertical check stiles, as with glider or patio doors
  • Bars: Divisional members extending from rail to rail or from stile to stile in an authentic divided lite unit
  • Muntins: Divisional members extending from a bar to a rail or stile or another bar

Balance – a mechanical device (normally spring loaded) used in single and double-hung windows to counterbalance the weight of the sash during the opening and closing of the window.

Check Rail – [on a double-hung window] the part where the bottom part of the upper sash and the upper part of the lower sash come in contact (the middle of the window).

Glass – the framed sheet of glass within a window frame.

Rail – the horizontal piece of a window sash. It comprises of the lower rail, check rail, and the upper rail.

Lower Rail – the lower part of the lower sash.

Upper Rail – the top part of the upper sash.

Lift – (most commonly found on wood windows) a handle for raising the lower sash in a single or double-hung window.

Sash Lock – a locking mechanism (used on a single or double-hung window) that engages with the lock strike to reduce rattling.

Window Parts

All windows are different, so not all will have the same parts or components. Below are more window parts that can be found in many different types of windows:

Casing – the decorative framing or molding around a window that is used to cover the space.

Lock Handle – the lock handle is a locking mechanism located on the jamb of a window.

Weatherstrip – a strip of resilient material used for covering the joint between the window sash and frame. It helps reduce air leaks and prevent water from entering the structure.

Operator – a crank-operated device for opening and closing awning and casement windows.

Argon – an inert, nontoxic gas used in insulating glass units to reduce heat transfer and make your home more comfortable

Hinged Glass Panel – the glass panel that opens inward to allow access to our snap-in between-the-glass blinds, shades, and grilles (casement windows).

Fixed Panel – an inoperable panel of a window, like the top panel of a single-hung window or the pane of glass used in a picture window.

Mullion – a major structural piece running either vertical or horizontal that combines two or more windows together

Grilles – decorative pieces that visually divide window panels, giving the glass the appearance of multiple glass panes. They can be permanently affixed to your window through simulated divided light or between-the-glass options, or as removable room side grilles.

Screen – a woven mesh of metal, plastic, or fiberglass. It covers a window opening so that air and light may pass through while keeping insects out.

Weep Hole – individual openings in window sills that allow water or condensation to escape.

Thinking about installing new windows? Give A Perfect View Construction a call at (951) 698-2885 or click here for a free estimate.